Monday, June 14, 2010

Elderflower Cordial

Elderflower Cordial by Ng @ Whats for Dinner?The Elder is blooming. Last weekend I picked about 40 heads and I used half of those to made my first ever elderflower cordial. I used a recipe from selfsufficientish.com but I used 2 limes rather than a lemon.
Elderflower Cordial by Ng @ Whats for Dinner?I've never even seen cordial of any kind in Kansas but here in Ireland elderflower cordial is sold everywhere. Cordial is a very sweet fruity syrup which is diluted with water or soda water.
Elderflower Cordial by Ng @ Whats for Dinner?Elderflower Cordial
Makes about 1 litre
20 elderflower heads
2 limes (sliced)
2 tsp citric acid
1.5 kg sugar
1.2 ltr water (boiling)

Dissolve the the sugar in the water. Add the elderflowers, limes and citric acid. Cover and leave for a few days (some recipes say 24 hours, 48 hours or even 5 days). I went with the 4 days as I kept forgetting find some bottles! Make sure you give the brew a mix everyday.

Strain using cheese cloth or muslin and funnel into sterile bottles.

Elderflower Cordial by Ng @ Whats for Dinner?Enjoy right way and or keep in the frig for the next year. I've mixed mine a few ways so far water, soda water, mint tea, and orange. I think I like it best with a slice of orange.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. I wonder how it would be with some orange vodka and I slice of orange?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, madre, inappropriate! so is it like a drink? Or do you put it into things?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously you put it into your mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mix it into things like ice cream or cakes. Also you can eat the flowers, but it was gross so I'm not posting that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails