Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Peanut Butter Nanaimo Bars made with Homemade Graham Crackers

Peanut Butter Nanaimo Bars by Ng @ Whats for Dinner?The January 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Lauren of Celiac Teen. Lauren chose Gluten-Free Graham Wafers and Nanaimo Bars as the challenge for the month. The sources she based her recipe on are 101 Cookbooks and www.nanaimo.ca.
Homemade Gluten-Free Graham Crackers
I made 1/2 of the recipe from 101 Cookbooks, but replaced the wheat flour with rice flour and oats. Since I was making the dough in the food processor anyway I didn't bother to use oat flour.

1 cup rice flour
1/3 cup oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 1/2 Tbs cold butter
1/6 cup honey
3 1/2 Tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla

Blend the flours, add the sugar and soda and blend again. Add the butter and blend. Will turn into sand. Finish by adding the honey, milk and vanilla.

Homemade Graham Crackers by Ng @ Whats for Dinner?Chill the sticky mess (1 hour+). Roll out. Cook on baking paper 350f or 175c for 15 min or until light brown.
Homemade Graham Crackers by Ng @ Whats for Dinner?I was out of baking paper so I used foil. I hate rolling and cutting cookies, but the Nanaimo bar need broken cookies so i didn't worry about what they looked like.
Peanut Butter Nanaimo Bars with Homemade Graham Crackers by Ng @ Whats for Dinner?I used Food Network's recipe for the Peanut Butter Nanaimo Bars, but used walnuts in the base not almonds. Very rice so we enjoyed these bars in very small bites. Was much more like candy then cookie.

4 comments:

  1. Looks yummy, but a lot of trouble to make the crackers. If I made it, I think I would just use store bought grahamn crackers and tough luck to people with food allergies. Survival of the fittest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so mean! But when I make them again I'm just going to use more nuts and leave out the crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your bar. It looks so cute and dinky and delicious! I think the peanut butter variation sounds wonderful - I'll be going down that route when I make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The peanut butter version looks wonderful! You did a fantastic job on my challenge =D.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails