Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Toasted Brown Rice

fluffy Toasted Brown Rice ngsdinner@blogspot.com
 I have a very hard time getting my white rice eating family to eat brown rice, but that doesn't mean I stop trying.  So far mixing brown and  white rice together hasn't worked well so I've gone back trying to work with just plain brown rice.  A few weeks ago I cooked the brown rice in broth...but Saeid didn't like it.  Last night I toasted the rice before cooking and guess what? Saeid said "I don't hate this brown rice."  The baby liked it too!  Win!  I don't think this will replace our everyday white rice but its a start.

Toasted Brown Rice
serves 2 (and 1/2)
1 cup brown rice
1 1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt

Toast the rice in a dry pan on med heat for 5 min or until the brown rice starts to brown and smells nutty. Make sure to shake the pan from time to time. Transfer the rice into a pot (or toast the rice in the pot to start but it may take longer).  Cover with the water, add salt.  Bring to a boil then lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pot.  Forget about it for the next 20min.    Fluff and enjoy.
fluffy Toasted Brown Rice ngsdinner@blogspot.com
No left overs!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Good to see you are blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Its good to be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an easier way to make brown rice, which your family apparently doesn't like, and only eat because you are starving them. Just take the white rice, which they love, and when it is done cooking sprinkle lightly with soy sauce! Well, I guess that would be more like black rice, or maybe gray rice. Wait, I have a brilliant idea, isn't brown sauce a popular condiment in Ireland, put brown sauce on the rice.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...and I'll just but soy sauce on white pasta to make it whole grain. The baby like brown rice and so do I so thats 2 out of 3.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails