Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Aash-e Dandoni Tooth Soup (Bean and Rice Soup)

Aash-e Dandoni or Tooth Soup, Bean and Rice Soup, by Ng @ What's for Dinner?
This is my favorite food from when I was in Iran.  My mother-in-law made it for Joe's first tooth.  Its called Aash-e Dandoni or Tooth Soup. Everyone gave her a few beans to make it and then she handed out the soup.  I guess its a bit like Iranian Stone Soup only the empty bowls came back with gifts for the baby.   She is visiting me and I asked her to please make it for me again.   She said that all of Joe's teeth would fall out but since he just has baby teeth I said let them!

This soup in simple yet rich.  Just chickpeas, kidney beans, barley, lentil, rice and onion.  That right a vegan Iranian dish! I'm in heaven! The only spice is salt and pepper.   I couldn't ruin this lovely soup by adding again thing else.

Aash-e Dandoni
makes one pot
1 cup chickpeas (soaked overnight)
1/2 cup kidney bean (soaked overnight)
1/2 cup barley
1/2 cup lentils (could use mung bean soaked overnight)
1/2 cup rice
1 chopped and fried onion
salt and pepper

In a med large pot bring the chickpeas and kidney beans to a boil in about 3 cups of water, lower the heat and cover.  Cook for about an hour and then add the barley and lentils.   Cook for about half an hour and add the rice and fried onion.  Check and taste the soup as it cooks.  Adding water, salt and pepper when and as needed.  When everything is soft its ready.  This should be a very thick soup so keep and eye on it after add the rice so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.

I think this would be really lovely in a crock pot.  Add everything in at once with boiling water to cover and let cook. 

Low Cal, vegan, cold weather bean soup by ng @ What's for Dinner?
The perfect cold weather bean soup.

4 comments:

  1. This soup looks delicious! But there are no jo Jo pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V price in India will be announced at Rs
    17,450. Also by using their expertise, they could develop, design, and enhance the functionality
    an application as well as market it once it's
    launched. It even comes with a little kick-stand which allows you to
    rest your phone on a flat surface for optimal
    viewing.

    Also visit my weblog Hill Climb Racing hack

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails